A Pop Culture vs. The Bible post by LaShawnda Jones
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. ~ John 14:6
Adele’s voice moves me. The emotion she pours into her music stirs similar emotion in me — but that’s nothing new; that’s what makes music so powerful. From the first time I heard her song, One and Only, I envisioned Jesus serenading me – serenading us all, actually: Come on, let Me be your one and only. I promise I’m worthy to hold in your heart. I know it ain’t easy giving up your heart… but you’ll get all of Me in return – so come on and give me a chance…. In my mind, I accept Jesus’s serenade and offer the same words to the one God allows me to love.
“…Surrender is one of the most important words in all of Christianity. Do you want to know just how important the act of you surrendering is?
- Surrendering to Jesus Christ is another name for “being born again.”
- Surrendering is allowing Jesus Christ to live inside you.
- Surrendering means living a life (a Godly life) that is pleasing and acceptable to Jesus Christ.
- Surrendering is you confessing your sins when you sin and really repenting and turning away from them.
- Surrendering is the thing that allows you to accept the free gift of grace that God wants to give you.
- Surrendering is the one thing that will allow you to have eternal life.
So surrendering means giving up pride, giving up control, giving up independence, giving up all those things in our life that we have deemed important and precious and have placed ahead of Jesus Christ. Surrendering to Him means allowing Him to guide your life, it means bearing our crosses for His sake, it means acknowledging Him in all things, it means realizing that everything we have in this life comes from Him. And most of all it means that we finally understand that we cannot make it without his constant guidance and protection.” (Bob Wells, http://robertwells.tripod.com/surrender.html)
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. ~ Romans 12:1-2
Do you translate any secular songs with your Kingdom ear? Please share.